(a) A child fourteen or fifteen years of age may be employed or permitted to work in any gainful occupation, except as provided in section two of this article, when the person, firm or corporation by whom the child is employed or permitted to work, obtains and keeps on file and accessible to officers charged with the enforcement of this article, a work permit issued by the superintendent of schools of the county in which the child resides, or by some person authorized by him or her in writing. Whenever a work permit has been issued, or wherever an age certificate has been issued under the provisions of section five of this article, it shall be conclusive as to the age of the child on whose behalf the work permit or age certificate was issued.
(b) The superintendent of schools, or person authorized by him or her in writing, shall issue the work permit only upon receipt of the following documents:
(1) A written statement, signed by the person for whom the child expects to work, that he or she intends legally to employ the child;
(2) A brief written description of the job the child is expected to perform;
(3) A birth certificate, or attested transcript thereof, issued by the registrar of vital statistics or other officer charged with the duty of recording births;
(4) A certificate signed by the principal or registrar of the school attended showing that the child is attending school; and
(5) The written consent of the parent or parents, guardian or custodian of the child.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.