(1) "Hospital" means a facility licensed under the provisions of article five-b, chapter sixteen of this code, but does not include hospitals operated by state or federal agencies.
(2) "Nurse" means a certified or licensed practical nurse or a registered nurse who is providing nursing services and is involved in direct patient care activities or clinical services, but does not include certified nurse anesthetists. Nurse managers are included with respect to their delivery of in-hospital patient care, but this is in no way intended to impact on their 24-hour management responsibility for a unit, area or service.
(3) "Overtime" means the hours worked in excess of an agreed upon, predetermined, regularly scheduled shift.
(4) "Taking action against" means discharging; disciplining; threatening; reporting to the board of nursing; discriminating against; or penalizing regarding compensation, terms, conditions, location or privileges of employment.
(5) "Unforeseen emergent situation" means an unusual, unpredictable or unforeseen circumstance such as, but not limited to, an act of terrorism, a disease outbreak, adverse weather conditions or natural disasters. An unforeseen emergent situation does not include situations in which the hospital has reasonable knowledge of increased patient volume or decreased staffing, including, but not limited to, scheduled vacations and scheduled health care worker medical leave.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session