(2) The term "construction," as used in this article, shall mean any construction, reconstruction, improvement, enlargement, painting, decorating, or repair of any public improvement let to contract. The term "construction" shall not be construed to include temporary or emergency repairs.
(3) The term "locality" means the county where the construction is to be performed, except that if there is not available in the county a sufficient number of competent skilled laborers, workmen and mechanics to perform such construction efficiently and properly, and may include one or more counties in this state adjacent to the one in which the construction is to be performed and from which such skilled laborers, workmen and mechanics may be obtained in sufficient numbers to perform the construction. With respect to construction of public improvements with the state road commission, "locality" may be construed to include one or more counties in this state adjacent to the one in which the construction or public improvement is to be performed and from which skilled laborers, workmen and mechanics may be accessible for work on such construction on public improvements.
(4) The term "public improvement," as used in this article, shall include all buildings, roads, highways, bridges, streets, alleys, sewers, ditches, sewage disposal plants, waterworks, airports, and all other structures upon which construction may be let to contract by the state of West Virginia or any political subdivision thereof.
(5) The term "construction industry," as used in this article, shall mean that industry which is composed of employees and employers engaged in construction of buildings, roads, highways, bridges, streets, alleys, sewers, ditches, sewage disposal plants, waterworks, airports, and all other structures or works whether private or public on which construction work as defined in subsection (2) of this section is performed.
(6) The term "board" shall mean the minimum wage board as constituted in this article.
(7) The term "employee," for the purposes of this article, shall not be construed to include such persons as are employed or hired by the public authority on a regular or temporary basis or engaged in making temporary or emergency repairs.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.