(a) The commissioner shall:
(1) Propose rules for legislative approval in accordance with the provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, which rules at the minimum must include provisions for:
(A) A Class A certification program for individuals who operate cranes or tower cranes in the State of West Virginia, which must require both a written examination and a practical demonstration, and which must be accredited by the American National Standards Institute's Personnel Certification Accreditation Program;
(B) A Class B certification program for individuals who operate cranes or tower cranes in the State of West Virginia, which must require the successful completion of a training course;
(C) Certification categories including lattice boom truck cranes; lattice boom crawler cranes; fixed cab-telescoping boom cranes; swing cab-telescoping boom cranes; and tower cranes: Provided, That the holders of a certification for the large telescoping boom crane, upon application for recertification, will be provided with a one time election to either be certified as an operator of a fixed-cab or swing-cab telescoping boom crane, and that holders of a certification for the small telescoping boom crane, upon application for recertification, will be automatically certified as a fixed cab operator;
(D) Class A certification renewal requirements of individuals who operate cranes in the State of West Virginia, that must include a written examination and a current physician's certificate at least every five years; and
(E) Class B certification renewal requirements of individuals who operate cranes in the State of West Virginia, that must include the successful completion of a training course approved by the commissioner;
(2) Prescribe application forms for original and renewal certification;
(3) Set application fees in amounts that are reasonable and necessary to defray the costs of the administration of this article in an amount not to exceed $75 per year;
(4) Set examination and training course fees in an amount not to exceed the actual cost of the examination and the training course;
(5) Administer or cause to be administered the written examination, practical demonstrations and the training course as required for certification;
(6) Determine the standards for acceptable performance on the written examination, practical demonstration and the required training course: Provided, That the minimum standards must be consistent with national standards, current operating procedures and technology and be transferable to other states where possible;
(7) Provide the option for applicants and crane operators to take examinations that meet or exceed requirements for national crane operator certification; and
(8) Take other action as necessary to enforce this article.
(b) The commissioner, or his or her designee, upon receipt of
information that a person has engaged in or is engaging in an act that constitutes a violation of this article, may issue a notice to
the person to cease and desist and may apply to the circuit court
for an order enjoining the act. Upon a showing that the person has
engaged in or is engaging in an act that constitutes a violation of
this article, the court may order an injunction, restraining order
or other order as the court considers appropriate.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.