(b) Any person to whom a license has been issued under this article shall keep the license or a copy thereof posted in a conspicuous position at every construction site where work is being done by the contractor. The contractor's license number shall be included in all contracting advertisements and all fully executed and binding contracts. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be subject, after hearing, to a warning, a reprimand, or a fine of not more than two hundred dollars.
(c) Except as otherwise provided in this code, the following are exempt from licensure:
(1) Work done exclusively by employees of the United States Government, the State of West Virginia, a county, municipality or municipal corporation, and any governmental subdivision or agency thereof;
(2) The sale or installation of a finished product, material or article or merchandise which is not actually fabricated into and does not become a permanent fixed part of the structure;
(3) Work performed personally by an owner or lessee of real property on property the primary use of which is for agricultural or farming enterprise;
(4) A material supplier who renders advice concerning use of products sold and who does not provide construction or installation services;
(5) Work performed by a public utility company regulated by the West Virginia Public Service Commission and its employees;
(6) Repair work contracted for by the owner of the equipment on an emergency basis in order to maintain or restore the operation of such equipment;
(7) Work performed by an employer's regular employees, for which the employees are paid regular wages and not a contract price, on property owned or leased by the employer which is not intended for speculative sale or lease;
(8) Work personally performed on a structure by the owner or occupant thereof; and
(9) Work performed when the specifications for such work have been developed or approved by engineering personnel employed by the owner of a facility by registered professional engineers licensed pursuant to the laws of this state when the work to be performed because of its specialized nature or process cannot be reasonably or timely contracted for within the general area of the facility.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.