(2) After affording an opportunity for a hearing, the board may impose a penalty of not less than two hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars upon any person engaging in contracting business in the state without a valid license. The board may accept payment of the penalty in lieu of a hearing.
(3) Within thirty days after receipt of the final order issued pursuant to this section, any party adversely affected by the order may appeal the order to the circuit court of Kanawha County, West Virginia, or to the circuit court of the county in which the petitioner resides or does business.
(b) Any person continuing to engage in contracting business in the state without a valid license after service of a cease and desist order is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, is subject to the following penalties:
(1) For a first offense, a fine of not less than two hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars;
(2) For a second offense, a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than five thousand dollars, or confinement in the county or regional jail for not more than six months, or both;
(3) For a third or subsequent offense, a fine of not less than one thousand dollars nor more than five thousand dollars, and confinement in the county or regional jail for not less than thirty days nor more than one year.
(c) The board may institute proceedings in the circuit court of the county in which the alleged violations of the provisions of this article occurred or are now occurring to enjoin any violation of any provision of this article.
(d) Any person who undertakes any construction work without a valid license when such license is required by this article, when the total cost of the contractor's construction contract on any project upon which the work is undertaken is twenty-five thousand dollars or more, shall, in addition to any other penalty herein provided, be assessed by the board an administrative penalty not to exceed two hundred dollars per day for each day the person is in violation.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.