(1) "Agency of this state" means the government of this state and any subdivision, agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the government of this state.
(2) "Committee" or "State Conservation Committee" means the agency created in section four of this article.
(3) "District" or "conservation district" means a subdivision of this state, organized in accordance with the provisions of this article, for the purposes, with the powers and subject to the restrictions hereinafter set forth.
(4) "Governing body" means the supervisors of any conservation district, town or city, council, city commission, county court or body acting in lieu of a county court, in this state, and the term "governmental division" means any conservation district, town, city or county in this state.
(5) "Land occupier" or "occupier of land" means any person, firm or corporation who shall hold title to, or shall be in possession of, any lands lying within a district organized under the provisions of this article, whether as owner, lessee, renter or tenant.
(6) "Landowners" or "owners of land" means any person or persons, firm or corporation who holds title to any lands lying within a district organized under the provisions of this article.
(7) "Notice" means notice published as a Class II legal advertisement in compliance with the provisions of article three, chapter fifty-nine of this code and the publication area for such publication shall be the county in which is located the appropriate area. At any hearing held pursuant to such notice at the time and place designated in such notice, adjournment may be made, from time to time, without the necessity of renewing such notice for such adjournment dates.
(8) "Petition" means a petition filed under the provisions of subsection (a), section five of this article for the creation of a district.
(9) "Soil conservation", "erosion control" or "erosion prevention projects" means those projects that have been established by federal agencies in cooperation with state agencies for the purpose of demonstrating soil erosion control and water conservation practices.
(10) "State" means the State of West Virginia.
(11) "Supervisor" means one of the members of the governing body of a district, elected or appointed in accordance with the provisions of this article.
(12) "United States" or "agencies of the United States" means the United States of America, Natural Resources Conservation Service of the United States Department of Agriculture and any other agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the United States of America.
(13) "Works of improvement" means such structures as may be necessary or convenient for flood prevention or the conservation, development, utilization or disposal of water.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.