(a) The board has the following powers and duties to:
(1) Establish standards governing the care and well-being of livestock;
(2) Maintain food safety;
(3) Encourage locally grown and raised food; and
(4) Protect West Virginia farms and families.
(b) The board is also authorized to establish standards by legislative rule, pursuant to the provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, governing the care and well-being of livestock in this state, including:
(1) The agricultural best management practices for the care and well-being of livestock and poultry in this state;
(2) Procedures for addressing complaints regarding the inhumane treatment of livestock and coordinating efforts with county humane officers;
(3) Biosecurity, disease prevention, animal morbidity and mortality data;
(4) Food safety practices; and
(5) The protection of local, affordable food supplies for consumers.
(c) The Department of Agriculture shall administer and enforce
the standards established by the board that are approved by the
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.