(1) Establish standards governing the care and well-being of livestock in this state;
(2) Maintain food safety;
(3) Encourage locally grown and raised food; and
(4) Protect West Virginia farms and families.
(b) The board is also authorized to establish standards by legislative rule, pursuant to the provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, governing the care and well-being of livestock in this state, including:
(1) The agricultural best management practices for the care and well-being of livestock and poultry in this state;
(2) Biosecurity, disease prevention, animal morbidity and mortality data;
(3) Food safety practices; and
(4) The protection of local, affordable food supplies for consumers.
(c) The Department of Agriculture shall administer and enforce the standards established by the board that are approved by the Legislature.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session