(a) For agricultural and forest seeds:
(1) Commonly accepted name of
(a) Kind and variety of each agricultural or forest seed component in excess of five percent of the whole, and the percentage by weight of each in order of its predominance. Where more than one component is required to be named, the word "mixture" or the word "mixed" shall be shown conspicuously on the label.
(b) If the variety is unknown, that fact shall be stated for each agricultural or forest seed component in excess of five percent of the whole.
(2) Lot number or other lot identification.
(3) Origin, if known, of alfalfa, red clover, forest seeds and field corn (except hybrid corn). If the origin is unknown that fact shall be stated.
(4) Percentage by weight of all weed seeds.
(5) The name and approximate number of each kind of noxious weed seed: (a) Per ounce in Agrostis spp., Poa spp., Rhodes grass, Bermuda grass, timothy, orchard grass, fescues, alsike and white clover, reed, canary grass, Dallas grass, ryegrass, foxtail millet, alfalfa, red clover, sweet clovers, lespedezas, smooth brome, crimson clover, Brassica spp., flax, Agropyron spp., and other agricultural seeds of similar size and weight, or mixtures within this group.
(b) Per pound in proso, Sudan grass, wheat, oats, rye, barley, buckwheat, sorghums, vetches and other agricultural seeds of a size and weight similar to or greater than those within this group, or any mixtures within this group.
All determinations of noxious weed seeds shall be subject to tolerances and methods of determination prescribed in the rules and regulations under this article.
(6) Percentages by weight of agricultural seeds (which may be designated as "crop seeds"), other than those required to be named on the label.
(7) Percentage by weight of inert matter.
(8) For each named agricultural or forest seed: (a) Percentage of germination exclusive of hard seed; (b) percentage of hard seed, if present; (c) the calendar month and year the test was completed to determine each percentage.
Following (a) and (b) the "total germination and hard seeds" may be stated as such, if desired.
(9) Name and address of the person who labeled said seed, or who sells, offers or exposes said seed for sale within this state.
(10) For agricultural or forest seeds which germinate less than the standard last established by the commissioner under this article, the label shall show in addition to the previous requirements of this section, the words "germination below standard" in not less than eight point type.
(b) For vegetable seeds:
(1) Name of kind and variety;
(2) For seeds which germinate less than the standard last established by the commissioner under this article: (a) Percentage of germination, exclusive of hard seed; (b) percentage of hard seed, if present; (c) the calendar month and year the test was completed to determine such percentages; (d) the words "below standard" in not less than eight point type; and
(3) Name and address of the person who labeled said seed, or who sells, offers or exposes said seed for sale within the state.
(c) For seed potatoes:
Only "certified" seed potatoes which grade from the standpoint of physical defects better than the minimumrequirements of U.S. No. 1 may be offered for sale as seed. There shall be attached to each bag or container a tag showing by whom certified, the standard or conditions under which said certification is made, and the name of the official state or governmental agency making the inspection upon which the certification is made.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.