(b) During the month of April of each odd-numbered year, each president of a state institution of higher education, at the direction of the staff council and in accordance with procedures established by the staff council, shall convene a meeting or otherwise institute a balloting process to elect members of the staff council, except that for two thousand four only, the election shall take place in July. Members are elected as follows:
(1) Two classified employees from the administrative/ managerial sector;
(2) Two classified employees from the professional/nonteaching sector;
(3) Two classified employees from the paraprofessional sector;
(4) Two classified employees from the secretarial/clerical sector;
(5) Two classified employees from the physical plant/ maintenance sector;
(6) The classified employee who is elected to serve on the advisory council of classified employees serves as an ex officio, voting member of the staff council. This member shall report to the staff council on meetings of the classified council and the board of governors; and
(7) Classified employees at Marshall university and West Virginia university may elect five classified employees from each of the five sectors to serve on the staff council.
(c) Members serve a term of two years, which term begins on the first day of July of each odd-numbered year. Members of the staff council are eligible to succeed themselves.
(d) Classified employees shall select one of their members to serve as chairperson. All classified employees at the institution are eligible to vote for the chairperson by any method approved by a majority of their members. The chairperson is eligible to succeed himself or herself.
(e) The staff council shall meet at least monthly or at the call of the chairperson. With appropriate notification to the president of the institution, the chairperson may convene staff council meetings for the purpose of sharing information and discussing issues affecting the classified employees or the efficient and effective operations of the institution.
(f) The president of the institution shall meet at least quarterly with the staff council to discuss matters affecting classified employees.
(g) The governing board of the institution shall meet at least annually with the staff council to discuss matters affecting classified employees and the effective and efficient management of the institution.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.