(a) When a consolidated institution is formed, the faculty, classified employees and nonclassified employees of the affected institutions become the faculty, classified employees and nonclassified employees of the consolidated institution, subject to the provisions of this article.
(b) By December 31, 2013, the board of governors of the consolidated institution, in consultation with the president, shall determine which, if any, positions existing at the affected institutions on the effective date of this article are to be abolished.
(1) In the case of positions which the board chooses to retain, but which exist at both affected institutions, when there is an overlap of duties and responsibilities of employees who occupy those positions, the board of governors, in consultation with the president, shall determine which position or positions shall be abolished.
(2) A classified employee who holds a position scheduled to be abolished is afforded all rights and benefits provided by this article and by section three, article seven of this chapter.
(c) Official notification to employees. -
(1) The president shall provide official notice of employment status to each classified employee, faculty member and nonclassified employee of the affected institutions not later than thirty days after the board's decision. For an employee whose position is to be abolished, the official notice shall specify his or her date of termination. The termination date shall be within three to six months following the date of official notification.
(2) Any person who was employed full time by an affected institution on the effective date of this article and whose employment continues in any capacity with the board of governors of the consolidated institution is considered to have no break in service for calculation of years of service, seniority, participation in health and retirement plans or continued employment by the state.
(3) The board of governors, created pursuant to this article,
is an organization as defined in section two, article nine-a of
this chapter and is subject to all the terms and conditions that
apply to higher education organizations as provided in this chapter
and chapter eighteen-c of this code. Specifically, the board is
subject to section three, article seven of this chapter when making
reductions in force of classified employees.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.