(a) Each recipient of an Underwood-Smith teacher scholarship shall enter into an agreement with the senior administrator under which the recipient shall:
(1) Provide the board with evidence of compliance with subsection (a), section four of this article;
(2) Within a ten-year period after completing the teacher education for which the scholarship was awarded; and
(A) Teach full-time under contract with a county board of education in a public education program in the state for a period of not less than two years for each year for which a scholarship was received, or teach full-time under contract with a county board of education in this state in a teacher shortage area as determined by the state board of education, in an exceptional children program in this state, in a school having less than average academic results, or in a school in an economically disadvantaged area of this state for not less than one year for each year for which a scholarship was received; or
(B) Within such ten-year period while seeking and unable to secure a full-time teaching position under contract with a county board of education which satisfies the conditions of paragraph (A) of this subdivision: (i) Teach full-time in a private school, parochial or other school approved under exemption (A) or (K) for the instruction of students of compulsory school age pursuant to section one, article eight, chapter eighteen of this code, or in ahigher educational institution in this state or post-secondary vocational education program in this state as defined in section two, article one, chapter eighteen-b of this code, for a period of not less than two years for each year for which a scholarship was received; or (ii) perform alternative service or employment in this state pursuant to guidelines adopted in accordance with the rules of the governing boards in federal, state, county or local supported programs with an educational component, including mental or physical health care, or with bona fide tax exempt charitable organizations dedicated to the above, for a period of not less than two years for each year for which a scholarship was received.
Any teaching time accrued as a substitute teacher for a county board of education under paragraph (A) or (B) of this subdivision shall be credited pro rata in accordance with rules of the governing boards; or
(3) Repay all or part of an Underwood-Smith teacher scholarship received under this article plus interest and, if applicable, reasonable collection fees, in accordance with subsection (b), section four of this article, except as provided in subsections (c) and (d) of said section four.
(b) Scholarship agreements shall fully disclose the terms and conditions under which assistance under this article is provided and under which repayment may be required, including:
(1) A description of the conditions and procedures to be established under section four of this article; and
(2) A description of the appeals procedure required to be established under section four of this article.
(c) Individuals who were awarded an Underwood-Smith teacher scholarship prior to the effective date of this section may apply the provisions of paragraph (A) or (B), subdivision (2), subsection (a) of this section to teaching or other service performed by them after the first day of July, one thousand nine
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session