It is further the intent of the Legislature to establish a plan that is fair, accountable, credible, transparent and systematic. In recognition of the importance of these qualities, this article, together with articles seven, eight and nine of this chapter, is designated and may be cited as "FACTs for Higher Education".
(b) In furtherance of the principles described in subsection (a) of this section, the chief purposes of the classification and compensation system are to accomplish the following objectives:
(1) Develop and implement a classification and compensation system that is fair, transparent, understandable, simple to administer, self-regulating and adaptable to meet future goals and priorities;
(2) Provide current, reliable data to governing boards, the commission, the council, the Governor and the Legislature to inform the decision-making process of these policymakers;
(3) Attract well-qualified and diverse job applicants and retain and motivate employees to accomplish the goals, objectives and priorities identified in state law, rules of the commission and council, the statewide master plans for higher education and the institutions' compacts;
(4) Retain and reward employees who make valuable contributions to state and organization goals, objectives and priorities;
(5) Compensate employees within an organization fairly in relation to one another;
(6) Compensate employees across organizations who are performing similar work at similar wage rates;
(7) Compensate employees at levels that are competitive with appropriate external markets and are fiscally responsible;
(8) Improve the process for evaluating jobs, including, but not limited to, mandating training and development in best human resources practices and directing that key terms, job titles and evaluation forms are consistent across organizations; and
(9) Ensure that regular market salary analyses are performed
to determine how organization compensation for all classes of
employees compares to compensation in relevant external markets.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.