(b) For the purpose of determining the ratio of nonclassified employees pursuant to this section, the following conditions apply:
(1) Employees of the commission and the chancellor for higher education and employees of the council and the chancellor for community and technical college education are considered as one organization;
(2) Organizations may count as faculty or classified employees, respectively, administrators who retain the right to return to faculty or classified employee positions; and
(3) Athletic coaches are excluded from calculation of the ratio. The commission and the council shall include consideration of this employee category in each review required by section nine of this article and shall monitor organizations' use of this category and include this information in the reports required by subsections (a) and (b), section eight of this article.
(c) An organization may place up to twenty-five percent of the total number of classified and nonclassified employees of that organization as defined by this section in the nonclassified category under the following conditions:
(1) The governing board of an institution votes to approve any percentage or fraction of a percentage number above twenty percent and seeks and receives the approval of the commission or council, as appropriate, before increasing the total above twenty percent.
(2) In the case of personnel employed by the commission and the council, the chancellors jointly shall agree to increase the percentage number or fraction of a number of nonclassified employees beyond twenty percent and shall recommend this action to their respective boards for approval.
(A) The commission and council each shall approve or disapprove the increase and shall include the vote, as well as details of the position and justification for placing the position in the nonclassified category, in its minute record.
(B) The number of nonclassified personnel may not be increased above twenty percent unless the increase is approved by both the commission and the council.
(3) Powers and duties of Commission and Council regarding nonclassified staff ratios. --
(A) It is the duty of the commission and council jointly to establish criteria for the purpose of making decisions on approving or disapproving requests by organizations to exceed the twenty percent limit for personnel placed in the nonclassified category;
(B) The commission and council shall provide technical assistance to organizations under their respective jurisdictions in collecting and interpreting data to ensure that they fulfill the requirements established by this section. Consideration of these issues shall be made part of each review required by section nine of this article and information from the review included in the reports required by subsections (a) and (b), section eight of this article;
(C) The chancellors shall monitor the progress of the organizations in meeting the deadlines established in this section and shall report periodically to the council and commission. The commission and council shall make a preliminary compliance report to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability by September 1, 2013, and a final report on organization compliance to that body by September 1, 2015.
(D) Subject to a joint recommendation by the commission and the council and subsequent affirmative action by the Legislature to extend the authority beyond the specified date of termination, the authority of an organization to place more than twenty percent of its personnel in the nonclassified category pursuant to this section expires on July 1, 2016.
(d) The current annual salary of a nonclassified employee may not be reduced if his or her position is redefined as a classified position solely to meet the requirements of this section. If such a nonclassified employee is reclassified, his or her salary does not constitute evidence of inequitable compensation in comparison to other employees in the same paygrade. Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session