(a) Priorities for Marshall University and West Virginia University in collaboration:
(1) Developing Regional Brownfield Assistance Centers pursuant to section seven, article eleven of this chapter;
(2) Performing professional development-related research and coordinating the delivery of professional development to educators in the public schools of the state pursuant to article two, chapter eighteen of this code; and
(3) Building subject matter expertise in public education finance, including mastery of the theories and concepts used in developing formulas to provide state-level financial support to public education.
(b) The Legislature may, but is not required to, make additional appropriations for the benefit of Marshall University and West Virginia University to assist them in fulfilling the purposes set forth in subsection (a) of this section.
(c) Additional priorities for governing boards:
(d) In addition to the priorities established in subsection (a) of this section, each governing board under the jurisdiction of the commission shall focus resources and attention on improving its graduation rate for full-time undergraduate students as a specific institutional priority. The graduation rate is measured as a percentage of the number of undergraduate students who obtain a degree within six years of the date of enrollment as full-time freshmen.
(1) By July 1, 2015, the governing board of each state institution of higher education under the jurisdiction of the commission, including the governing boards of Marshall University and West Virginia University, shall attain a graduation rate for full-time undergraduate students that equals or exceeds the graduation rate of its peers established pursuant to section three, article one-a of this chapter.
(2) The commission shall monitor and report annually by
December 1, to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education
Accountability on the progress of the governing boards toward
meeting the goals set forth in this subsection.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.