(1) The state board shall promulgate a rule pursuant to article three-b, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code that establishes an objective method for projecting the increase in net enrollment for each school district. The state superintendent shall use the method prescribed by the rule to project the increase in net enrollment for each school district.
(2) The state superintendent shall multiply the average total state aid per net pupil by the sum of the projected increases in net enrollment for all school districts and report this amount to the Governor for inclusion in his or her proposed budget to the Legislature. The Legislature shall appropriate to the West Virginia Department of Education the amount calculated by the state superintendent and proposed by the Governor.
(3) The state superintendent shall calculate each school district's share of the appropriation by multiplying the projected increase in net enrollment for the school district by the average total state aid per net pupil and shall distribute sixty percent of each school district's share to the school district on or before the first day of September of each year. The state superintendent shall make a second distribution of the remainder of the appropriation in accordance with subdivision (4) of this subsection.
(4) After the first distribution pursuant to subdivision (3) of this subsection is made and after the actual increase in net enrollment is available, the state superintendent shall compute the total actual amount to be allocated to each school district for the year. The total actual amount to be allocated to each school district for the year is the actual increase in the school district's net enrollment multiplied by the average total state aid per net pupil. The state superintendent shall make the second distribution to each school district in an amount determined so that the total amount distributed to the district for the year, in both the first and second distributions, equals the actual increase in net enrollment multiplied by the average total state aid per net pupil. The state superintendent shall make the second distribution on or before the thirty-first day of December of each year: Provided, That if the amount distributed to a school district during the first distribution is greater than the total amount to which a district is entitled to receive for the year, the district shall refund the difference to the Department of Education prior to the thirtieth day of June of the fiscal year in which the excess distribution is made.
(5) If the amount of the appropriation for increased enrollment is not sufficient to provide payment in full for the total of these several allocations, each county allocation shall be reduced to an amount which is proportionate to the appropriation compared to the total of the several allocations and the allocations as thus adjusted shall be distributed to the counties as provided in this section: Provided, That the Governor shall request a supplemental appropriation at the next legislative session for the reduced amount.
(b) To help offset the budgetary impact of extraordinary and sustained increases in net enrollment in a county, there shall be included in the basic state aid of any county whose most recent three-year average growth in second month net enrollment is two percent or more, an amount equal to one fourth of the state average per pupil state aid multiplied by the increase in the county's second month net enrollment in the latest year.
(c) No provision of this section shall be construed to in any way affect the allocation of moneys for educational purposes to a county under other provisions of law.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session