(a) There shall be offered in all public secondary schools within the state, without charge to students, an approved, comprehensive course in driver education. The course may be offered in summer school in addition to the regular instructional term. (b) In those counties where sufficient public secondary school driver education courses are not available to meet all requests for the course, county boards of education shall, as quickly as possible, make sufficient courses available to fill those requests.
(c) Under the authority and subject to the conditions provided in section two-a, article three, chapter eighteen-a of this code, the State Superintendent may issue a permit or other certificate to persons who do not qualify for the professional certificate for the purpose of providing instruction in driver education subject to the following:
(1) The applicant for the permit or certificate is subject to the criminal history check of applicants for licensure provided in section ten, article three, chapter eighteen-a of this code;
(2) The permit or certificate may not be given permanent status, but may be renewed in accordance with rules adopted by the State Department of Education;
(3) The duties of a person who has a valid permit or certificate under this subsection may include the supervision of students;
(4) The person, when providing instruction in the public schools, may only be employed under a contract with the respective county board of education that specifies the duties to be performed, a rate of pay that is equivalent to the rate of pay for professional educators in the district who accept similar duties as extra duty assignments and provides for liability insurance associated with the activity;
(5) The person may not be considered an employee of the board for salary and benefit purposes other than as specified in the contract;
(6) The person completes an orientation program designed and approved in accordance with State Department of Education rules; and
(7) The position is posted annually and a professional
educator fully certified for the position has not applied.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.