(a) On or before June 1, 2013, the state board shall promulgate an emergency rule in accordance with article three-b, chapter twenty-nine of this code to ensure the coordination, development and evaluation of high-quality professional development programs. On or before November 1, 2013, the state board shall promulgate a legislative rule for the same purpose. The rules shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
(1) Standards for quality professional development that all professional development providers shall use in designing, implementing and evaluating professional development that shall become part of the statewide professional development plan;
(2) Processes for assuring professional development resources are appropriately allocated to identified areas of need;
(3) Processes for approval by state board of all professional development plans/offerings;
(4) Processes for evaluating the effectiveness, efficiency, and impact of the professional development;
(5) Processes for ensuring all stakeholders, including affected classroom teachers, have a voice in the identification of needed professional development and various delivery models;
(6) Processes for collaboration among West Virginia Department of Education, Center for Professional Development, RESAs, county boards and classroom teachers; and
(7) Processes for ensuring that the expertise and experience of state institutions of higher education with teacher preparation programs are included in developing and implementing professional development programs.
(b) The state board approval of the proposed professional development plans/offerings shall establish a Master Plan for Professional Development which shall be submitted by the state board to the affected agencies and to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability. The Master Plan shall include the state board-approved plans for professional development by the State Department of Education, the Center for Professional Development, the state institutions of higher education and the regional educational service agencies to meet the professional development goals of the state board.
(c) The state board shall submit a report on or before
December 1 of each year on the effectiveness, efficiency and impact
of the statewide professional development plan to the Legislative
Oversight Commission on Education Accountability.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.