(1) "Vocational rehabilitation facility" means a facility which is operated for the primary purpose of providing vocational rehabilitation services to, or gainful employment for, handicapped individuals, or, for providing evaluation and work adjustment services for disadvantaged individuals, and which provides singly or in combination one or more of the following services for handicapped individuals: (a) Comprehensive rehabilitation services which shall include, under one management, medical, psychological, social, and vocational services; (b) testing, fitting, or training in the use of prosthetic and orthopedic devices; (c) provocational conditioning or recreational therapy; (d) physical and occupational therapy; (e) therapy for speech and hearing pathology; (f) psychological and social services; (g) evaluation; (h) personal and work adjustment; (i) vocational training (in combination with other rehabilitation services); (j) evaluation or control of special disabilities; and (k) extended employment for the severely handicapped who cannot be readily absorbed in the competitive labor market; but all medical and related health services must be prescribed by, or under the formal supervision of, persons licensed to practice medicine or surgery in the state.
(2) "Workshop" means a particular type of vocational rehabilitation facility where any manufacture or handiwork is carried on and which is operated by a public agency or by a private corporation or association, no part of the net earnings of which inures or may lawfully inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, or by a cooperative, for the primary purpose of providing remunerative employment to disabled persons (a) as an interim step in the rehabilitation process for those who cannot be readily absorbed in the competitive labor market; or (b) during such time as employment opportunities for them in the competitive labor market do not exist; or (c) for providing vocational evaluation and work adjustment services for disadvantaged persons.
(3) "Cooperative" means an association, or membership corporation, whose membership is limited to disabled individuals and which is organized and operated on a cooperative basis for the exclusive benefit of its members and, by its charter or bylaws, is required to divide any profits, realized from the operation of workshops operated by it and not reinvested in such workshops, among its disabled members actually working therein.
(4) "Nonprofit institution" means a corporation or association no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.
(5) "State board,""division," and "director" shall have the same meaning as in article ten-a of this code.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.