"Classic motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle which is more than twenty-five years old and is registered pursuant to section three of this article and is used for general transportation.
"Classic motorcycle" means a motorcycle which is more than twenty-five years old and is registered pursuant to section three of this article and is used for general transportation.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in this section, antique motor vehicles or motorcycles may not be used for general transportation but may only be used for:
(1) Participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar events;
(2) The purpose of testing their operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance and transportation to and from events as described in subdivision (1); and
(3) Recreational purposes over weekends, beginning on Friday at twelve o'clock noon, and ending on the following Monday at twelve o'clock noon, and on holidays: Provided, That a classic motor vehicle or a classic motorcycle as defined in this section may be registered under the applicable class at the applicable registration fee set forth in section three of this article and may be used for general transportation.
(c) A West Virginia motor vehicle or motorcycle displaying license plates of the same year of issue as the model year of the antique motor vehicle or motorcycle, as authorized in this section, may be used for general transportation purposes if the following conditions are met:
(1) The license plate's physical condition has been inspected and approved by the Division of Motor Vehicles;
(2) The license plate is registered to the specific motor vehicle or motorcycle by the Division of Motor Vehicles;
(3) The owner of the motor vehicle or motorcycle annually registers the motor vehicle or motorcycle and pays an annual registration fee for the motor vehicle or motorcycle equal to that charged to obtain regular state license plates; and
(4) The motor vehicle or motorcycle passes an annual safety inspection; and
(5) The motor vehicle or motorcycle displays a sticker attached to the license plate, issued by the division, indicating that the motor vehicle or motorcycle may be used for general transportation.
(d) If more than one request is made for license plates having the same number, the division shall accept only the first application.
(e) The commissioner may promulgate rules in accordance with the provisions of chapter twenty-nine-a of this code as may be necessary or convenient for the carrying out of the provisions of
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session