(b) An applicant is eligible to participate in an approved driver training program if he or she:
(1) Submits to the commissioner and to the Division of Rehabilitation Services a report of examination by a vision specialist, on a form prescribed by the Division of Rehabilitation Services, which certifies that:
(A) In the opinion of the vision specialist, the applicant's vision can be corrected with the use of a bioptic telescopic device and without field expanders to satisfy the minimum visual acuity and visual field standards established by the commissioner;
(B) No ocular diagnosis or prognosis currently exists or is likely to occur during the period of licensure which would cause deterioration of the applicant's visual acuity or visual field to levels below the commissioner's minimum visual acuity and visual field standards for licensure; and
(C) The applicant is a likely candidate for acceptance into an approved driver training program; and
(2) Satisfies any other criteria for participation established by the Division of Rehabilitation Services.
(c) An approved driver training program shall include, at a minimum:
(1) Predriving instruction with regard to highway signs and the rules of the road;
(2) Predriving instruction in proper use of bioptic telescopic devices; and
(3) At least thirty hours of behind-the-wheel instruction in driving with bioptic telescopic devices.
(d) The Division of Rehabilitation Services may waive predriving instruction with regard to highway signs and the rules of the road pursuant to subdivision (1), subsection (c) of this section if the applicant:
(1) Has at least three years of experience driving with an unrestricted license; and
(2) Passes the written examination provided in subdivision (2), subsection (a), section (3) of this section.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.