(1) For use by any governmental agency, including any court or law-enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or any private person or entity acting on behalf of a governmental agency in carrying out its functions;
(2) For use in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft, motor vehicle product alterations, recalls or advisories, performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts and dealers, motor vehicle market research activities including survey research and removal of nonowner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers;
(3) For use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its agents, employees or contractors:
(A) For the purpose of verifying the accuracy of personal information submitted by the individual to the business or its agents, employees or contractors; and
(B) If the information as submitted is not correct or is no longer correct, to obtain the correct information, but only for the purposes of preventing fraud by, pursuing legal remedies against or recovering on a debt or security interest against the individual;
(4) For use in conjunction with any civil, criminal, administrative or arbitral proceeding in any court or governmental agency or before any self-regulatory body, including the service of process, the execution or enforcement of judgments and orders or pursuant to an order of any court;
(5) For use in research and producing statistical reports, so long as the personal information is not published, redisclosed or used to contact individuals;
(6) For use by any insurer or insurance support organization or by a self-insured entity, its agents, employees or contractors in connection with claim investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting;
(7) For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles;
(8) For use by any licensed private investigator agency or licensed security service for any purpose permitted under this section;
(9) For use by an employer or its agent or insurer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver's license that is required under the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 (49 U.S.C. App. 2710 et seq.);
(10) For use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities; and
(11) For any other use specifically authorized by law that is related to the operation of a motor vehicle or public safety.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.