(a) Notwithstanding any provision of this code to the contrary, the Commissioner of the West Virginia Division of Highways may expedite the construction of projects by combining the design and construction elements of a highway or bridge project into a single contract as provided in this article.
(b) The Division of Highways may expend no more than $50 million in each year in the program: Provided, That if any of the $50 million is unused in one year, the remaining amount may be applied to the following year's amount: Provided, however, That the total aggregate amount to be expended may not exceed $150 million in any one year.
(c) A design-build project may be let to contract only in accordance with the commissioner's established policies and procedures concerning design-build projects.
(d) Projects receiving funding above the amount of federal core funding as appropriated to the state by formula in a federal highway authorization, currently titled MAP-21, may utilize the program, but shall not be included in expenditure limits provided by subsection (b) of this section.
(1) The procedures to be followed for submitting bids and the procedures for making awards;
(2) The proposed general terms and conditions for the design-build contract;
(3) The description of the drawings, specifications or other information to be submitted with the bid, with guidance as to the form and level of completeness of the drawings, specifications or
submittals that will be acceptable;
(4) A proposed time schedule commencement and completion of the design-build contract;
(5) Budget limits for the design-build contract, if any;
(6) Requirements or restrictions for the subletting of specific portions of the design-build contract, if any; and
(7) Requirements for performance bonds, payment bonds, insurance, professional liability insurance and workers' compensation coverage.
(b) The division shall make available to the qualified design-builders, a list of prequalified consultants, approved subcontractors, suppliers and sureties, as applicable, additional information including, but not limited to, surveys, soils reports, drawings or information regarding existing structures, environmental studies, photographs or references to public records, or other pertinent information.
(c) The division shall set forth its needs with sufficient clarity to assure that there is a comprehensive understanding of the project's scope and requirement.
(b) The design-builder shall furnish a bid bond not to exceed five percent of the maximum cost of the design-build contract.
(c) The selection committee may choose to reject all bids. If the selection committee chooses to accept a bid, the committee shall award the project to the qualified design-builder based on low bid or a value-based selection process combining technical qualifications and competitive bidding elements. The selection committee shall ascertain that the submissions comply with the requirements of this article and the policies and procedures of the commissioner.
On or before January 15, 2014, and annually thereafter, the commissioner shall prepare and submit to the Joint Committee on Government and Finance a written report evaluating the experience of the Division of Highways with each project completed during the prior calendar year, including whether the division realized any cost or time savings, the number and cost of change orders, the quality of work performed, the number of bids received and other issues the commissioner considers appropriate: Provided, That the report submitted on or before January 15, 2014, shall contain such information as to all design-build projects that have been completed under the program prior to 2014.