(a) The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Resources, in collaboration with the West Virginia Board of Medicine and the West Virginia Board of Osteopathy, shall promulgate rules in accordance with the provisions of chapter twenty-nine-a of this code for the licensure of pain management clinics to ensure adequate care, treatment, health, safety, welfare and comfort of patients at these facilities. These rules shall include, at a minimum:
(1) The process to be followed by applicants seeking a license;
(2) The qualifications and supervision of licensed and non-licensed personnel at pain management clinics and training requirements for all facility health care practitioners who are not regulated by another board;
(3) The provision and coordination of patient care, including the development of a written plan of care;
(4) The management, operation, staffing and equipping of the pain management clinic;
(5) The clinical, medical, patient and business records kept by the pain management clinic;
(6) The procedures for inspections and for the review of utilization and quality of patient care;
(7) The standards and procedures for the general operation of a pain management clinic, including facility operations, physical operations, infection control requirements, health and safety requirements and quality assurance;
(8) Identification of drugs that may be used to treat chronic pain that identify a facility as a pain management clinic, including, at a minimum, tramadol and carisoprodol;
(9) Any other criteria that identify a facility as a pain management clinic;
(10) The standards and procedures to be followed by an owner in providing supervision, direction and control of individuals employed by or associated with a pain management clinic;
(11) Data collection and reporting requirements; and
(12) Such other standards or requirements as the secretary determines are appropriate.
(b) The rules authorized by this section may be filed as emergency rules if deemed necessary to promptly effectuate the purposes of this article.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.