(1) Administer and enforce the provisions of this article and the rules promulgated pursuant to this article, and issue instructions for the efficient administration of the system of vital statistics;
(2) Direct and supervise the system of vital statistics and the operation of the section of vital statistics, and act as custodian of its records;
(3) Direct, supervise, and control all activities pertaining to the operation of the system of vital statistics;
(4) Conduct training programs to promote uniformity of policy and procedures throughout the state in matters pertaining to the system of vital statistics;
(5) Prescribe, furnish, and distribute forms required by this article and the rules promulgated pursuant to this article, and prescribe means for transmission of data to accomplish the purpose of complete and accurate reporting and registration;
(6) Prepare and publish annual reports of vital statistics of this state, and other reports required by the commissioner;
(7) Provide to local health agencies copies of or data derived from certificates and reports required under this article as the State Registrar may determine are necessary for local health planning and program activities: Provided, That the copies and data remain the property of the section of vital statistics, and the uses that may be made of them are governed by the State Registrar; and
(8) Offer voluntary paternity establishment services in accordance with federal regulations set forth in 45 CFR 303.5(g).
(b) The State Registrar may:
(1) Designate individuals in the state as meet the requirements provided by rule to aid in the efficient administration of the system of vital statistics;
(2) Delegate functions and duties to employees of the section of vital statistics and to individuals designated under subdivision (1) of this subsection;
(3) Investigate, personally or by a duly delegated representative, cases of irregularity or violation of law arising under the provisions of this article;
(4) Report cases of violation of any of the provisions of this article to the prosecuting attorney of the county, with a statement of the facts and circumstances. The prosecuting attorney may prosecute the person or corporation responsible for the alleged violation of law. Upon request of the State Registrar, the Attorney General shall assist in the enforcement of the provisions of this article.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.