§16-4-19. Voluntary submission to examination and treatment; charges; disposition of money collected.
(a)(1) Any person may report to any municipal or county health department and voluntarily submit himself or herself to all tests and examinations necessary to ascertain whether he or she is infected with a sexually transmitted disease; and the health department shall conduct and administer all necessary tests and examinations to ascertain whether the person has any sexually transmitted disease.
(2) A person who is tested for sexually transmitted diseases at a local health department pursuant to this subsection shall be responsible for paying the reasonable costs of testing, either directly or through billing the person’s medical provider.
(3) Local health departments may charge in accordance with their existing fee schedules and may charge patients for such testing on a sliding fee scale.
(b)(1) If tests and examinations show a person tested and examined pursuant to subsection (a) of this section to have a sexually transmitted disease, then the person shall elect whether he or she will take treatment from a private physician, or whether he or she will take treatment from the local health department.
(2) If a person elects to take treatment through the local health department, he or she may be required to pay for such treatment either directly or by the local health department billing the person’s health insurance provider.
(3) Local health departments may charge in accordance with their existing fee schedules and may charge patients for treatment on a sliding fee scale.
(4) No individual may be refused treatment at a local health department due to a lack of insurance or inability to pay.
(c) All proper charges for examination and treatment that may be necessary pursuant to this section shall be paid by the individual or by that person’s health insurance provider.
(d) All money collected under this section shall be paid to the local health department and the local health officer having jurisdiction shall collect and account for such funds collected hereunder.