(b) The board is part-time. Each member shall devote the time necessary to carry out the duties and obligations of members on the board.
(c) Members appointed by the Governor may pursue and engage in another business or occupation or gainful employment that is not in conflict with his or her duties as a member of the board.
(d) The board shall meet at such times as the chair may decide. Eight members of the board are a quorum for the purposes of the transaction of business and for the performance of any duty.
(e) A majority vote of the members present is required for any final determination by the board. Voting by proxy is not allowed.
(f) The Governor may remove any board member for incompetence, misconduct, gross immorality, misfeasance, malfeasance or nonfeasance in office.
(g) The board shall consist of seventeen members, designated as follows:
(1) The Dean of the West Virginia University School of Medicine or his or her designee;
(2) The Dean of the Marshall University John C. Edwards School of Medicine or his or her designee;
(3) The President of the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine or his or her designee;
(4) The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Resources or his or her designee;
(5) The President of the West Virginia Board of Pharmacy or his or her designee;
(6) The Director of the Public Employees Insurance Agency or his or her designee;
(7) The Chief Technology Officer of the Office of Technology or his or her designee;
(8) The Chair of the Health Care Authority or his or her designee;
(9) The President of the West Virginia Hospital Association or his or her designee;
(10) The President of the West Virginia State Medical Association or his or her designee;
(11) The Chief Executive Officer of the West Virginia Health Care Association or his or her designee;
(12) The Executive Director of the West Virginia Primary Care Association or his or her designee; and
(13) Five public members that serve at the will and pleasure of the Governor and are appointed by the Governor with advice and consent of the Senate as follows:
(i) One member with legal expertise in matters concerning the privacy and security of health care information;
(ii) Two physicians actively engaged in the practice of medicine in the state;
(iii) One member engaged in the business of health insurance who is employed by a company that has its headquarters in West Virginia; and
(iv) The chief executive officer of a West Virginia corporation working with West Virginia health care providers, insurers, businesses and government to facilitate the use of information technology to improve the quality, efficiency and safety of health care for West Virginians.
(h) The Governor shall appoint one of the board members to serve as chair of the board at the Governor's will and pleasure. The board shall annually select one of its members to serve as vice chair. The Chair of the Health Care Authority shall serve as the secretary-treasurer of the board.
(i) The public members of the board shall serve a term of four years and may serve two consecutive terms. At the end of a term, a member of the board shall continue to serve until a successor is appointed. Those members designated in subdivisions (1) through (12), inclusive, subsection (g) of this section shall serve on the board only while holding the position that entitle them to membership on the board.
(j) The board may propose the adoption or amendment of rules to the Health Care Authority to carry out the objectives of this article.
(k) The board may appoint committees or subcommittees to investigate and make recommendations to the full board. Members of such committees or subcommittees need not be members of the board.
(l) Each member of the board and the board's committees and subcommittees is entitled to be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred for each day or portion thereof engaged in the discharge of official duties in a manner consistent with guidelines of the Travel Management Office of the Department of Administration.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.