(a) Effective July 1, 2012, the commissioner serves on the following licensing boards:
(1) The West Virginia Board of Medicine, provided in article three, chapter thirty; and
(2) The State Board of Sanitarians, as provided in article seventeen, chapter thirty.
(b) Effective July 1, 2012, the commissioner serves on the following advisory councils, boards and commissions:
(1) The Advisory Committee on Cancer (Cancer Registry);
(2) The Air Quality Board;
(3) The Appalachian States Low-level Radioactive Waste Commission;
(4) The Child Fatality Review Team;
(5) The Childhood Immunization Advisory Committee;
(6) The Early Intervention Coordinating Council;
(7) The Interagency Council on Osteoporosis;
(8) The Sewage Advisory Board;
(9) The State Emergency Response Commission;
(10) The State Groundwater Coordinating Committee;
(11) The Water Development Authority;
(12) The West Virginia Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing;
(13) The West Virginia Infrastructure and Jobs Development Council; and
(14) Any other advisory council, board or commission as assigned by the secretary except for business, professional or occupational licensing boards.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code to the contrary, the commissioner may, at his or her discretion, designate, in writing, a representative to serve in his or her stead at the meetings and in the duties of all boards and commissions on which the commissioner is designated as an ex officio member. The appropriately designated representative or proxy acts with the full power and authority of the commissioner in voting, acting upon matters concerning the public health and welfare and other business that is properly the duty of any board or commission. The representative serves as proxy at the commissioner's will and pleasure. The provisions of this section do not apply to the West Virginia Board of Medicine, the Air Quality Board or other board, commission or body on which the commissioner is designated by this code as chairman ex officio, secretary ex officio or a board, commission or body on which the commissioner is designated by this code as being that person whose signature must appear on licenses, minutes or other documents necessary to carry out the intents and purposes of the board, commission or body.