As used in this article, unless the context clearly requires a different meaning:
(1) "Accumulated contributions" means the sum of all amounts deducted from base salary, together with four percent interest compounded annually.
(2) "Active military duty" means full-time active duty with the armed forces of the United States, namely, the United States Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Navy; and service with the National Guard or reserve military forces of any of the armed forces when the employee has been called to active full-time duty. (3) "Actuarially equivalent" or "of equal actuarial value" means a benefit of equal value computed upon the basis of the mortality table and interest rates as set and adopted by the retirement board in accordance with the provisions of this article: Provided, That when used in the context of compliance with the federal maximum benefit requirements of Section 415 of the Internal Revenue Code, "actuarially equivalent" shall be computed using the mortality tables and interest rates required to comply with those requirements.
(4) "Agency" means the West Virginia State Police.
(5) "Base salary" means compensation paid to an employee without regard to any overtime pay.
(6) "Beneficiary" means a surviving spouse or other surviving beneficiary who is entitled to, or will be entitled to, an annuity or other benefit payable by the fund.
(7) "Board" means the Consolidated Public Retirement Board created pursuant to article ten-d, chapter five of this code.
(8) "Dependent child" means any unmarried child or children born to or adopted by a member or retirant of the fund who:
(A) Is under the age of eighteen;
(B) After reaching eighteen years of age, continues as a full- time student in an accredited high school, college, university or business or trade school until the child or children reaches the age of twenty-three years; or
(C) Is financially dependent on the member or retirant by virtue of a permanent mental or physical disability upon evidence satisfactory to the board.
(9) "Dependent parent" means the member's or retirant's parent or stepparent claimed as a dependent by the member or retirant for federal income tax purposes at the time of the member's or retirant's death.
(10) "Employee" means any person regularly employed in the service of the agency as a law-enforcement officer after March 12, 1994, and who is eligible to participate in the fund.
(11) "Final average salary" means the average of the highest annual compensation received for employment with the agency, including compensation paid for overtime service, received by the employee during any five calendar years within the employee's last ten years of service: Provided, That annual compensation for determining benefits during any determination period may not exceed the maximum compensation allowed as adjusted for cost of living in accordance with section seven, article ten-d, chapter five of this code and Section 401(a)(17) of the Internal Revenue Code.
(12) "Fund", "plan", "system" or "retirement system" means the West Virginia State Police Retirement Fund created and established by this article.
(13) "Internal Revenue Code" means the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
(14) "Law-enforcement officer" means an individual employed or otherwise engaged in either a public or private position which involves the rendition of services relating to enforcement of federal, state or local laws for the protection of public or private safety, including, but not limited to, positions as deputy sheriffs, police officers, marshals, bailiffs, court security officers or any other law-enforcement position which requires certification, but excluding positions held by elected sheriffs or appointed chiefs of police whose duties are purely administrative in nature.
(15) "Member" means any person who has contributions standing to his or her credit in the fund and who has not yet entered into retirement status.
(16) "Month of service" means each month for which an employee is paid or entitled to payment for at least one hour of service for which contributions were remitted to the fund. These months shall be credited to the member for the calendar year in which the duties are performed.
(17) "Partially disabled" means an employee's inability, on a probable permanent basis, to perform the essential duties of a law- enforcement officer by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than twelve months, but which impairment does not preclude the employee from engaging in other types of nonlaw-enforcement employment.
(18) "Physical or mental impairment" means an impairment that results from an anatomical, physiological or psychological abnormality that is demonstrated by medically accepted clinical and laboratory diagnostic techniques.
(19) "Plan year" means the twelve-month period commencing on July 1 of any designated year and ending the following June 30.
(20) "Qualified public safety employee" means any employee of a participating state or political subdivision who provides police protection, fire fighting services or emergency medical services for any area within the jurisdiction of the state or political subdivision, or such other meaning given to the term by Section 72(t)(10)(B) of the Internal Revenue Code or by Treasury Regulation §1.401(a)-1(b)(2)(v) as they may be amended from time to time.
(21) "Required beginning date" means April 1 of the calendar year following the later of: (a) The calendar year in which the member attains age seventy and one-half years; or (b) the calendar year in which he or she retires or otherwise separates from service with the agency after having attained the age of seventy and one- half years.
(22) "Retirant" or "retiree" means any member who commences an annuity payable by the retirement system.
(23) "Salary" means the compensation of an employee, excluding any overtime payments.
(24) "Surviving spouse" means the person to whom the member or retirant was legally married at the time of the member's or retirant's death and who survived the member or retirant.
(25) "Totally disabled" means an employee's probable permanent inability to engage in substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determined physical or mental impairment that can be expected to result in death or that has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than twelve months. For purposes of this subdivision, an employee is totally disabled only if his or her physical or mental impairments are so severe that he or she is not only unable to perform his or her previous work as an employee of the agency, but also cannot, considering his or her age, education and work experience, engage in any other kind of substantial gainful employment which exists in the state regardless of whether: (A) The work exists in the immediate area in which the employee lives; (B) a specific job vacancy exists; or (C) the employee would be hired if he or she applied for work.
(26) "Years of service" means the months of service acquired
by a member while in active employment with the agency divided by
twelve. Years of service shall be calculated in years and fraction
of a year from the date of active employment of the member with the
agency through the date of termination of employment or retirement
from the agency. If a member returns to active employment with the
agency following a previous termination of employment with the
agency and the member has not received a refund of contributions
plus interest for the previous employment under section eight of
this article, service shall be calculated separately for each
period of continuous employment and years of service shall be the
total service for all periods of employment. Years of service
shall exclude any periods of employment with the agency for which
a refund of contributions plus interest has been paid to the member
unless the employee repays the previous withdrawal, as provided in
section eight of this article, to reinstate the years of service.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.