(b) Terms defined. --
(1) "Aircraft" means a weight-carrying structure for navigation of the air that is supported by the dynamic action of the air against its surfaces and includes, but is not limited to, an airplane or helicopter. For the purposes of this article, the term "aircraft" does not include dirigibles, balloons, kites, rockets, gliders, ornithopters, fan wing vehicles, autogyros and powered lift vehicles other than helicopters.
(2) "Airplane" means a fixed-wing aircraft heavier than air that is driven by a propeller or by jet, turbojet, turbofan, ram jet, pulse jet, scramjet or rocket engine and supported by the dynamic reaction of air against its wings.
(3) "Commercial airline" means an air transportation system used to transport people and tangible personal property for profit and includes carriers that operate with fixed routes and flight schedules as well as charter carriers.
(4) "Helicopter" means an aircraft whose support in the air is derived chiefly from the aerodynamic forces acting on one or more rotors turning about on substantially vertical axes.
(5) "Private carrier" means any firm, partnership, joint venture, joint stock company, any public or private corporation, cooperative, trust, business trust or any other group or combination acting as a unit that is engaged in a primary business other than commercial air transportation that operates an aircraft for the transportation of employees or others for business purposes.
(6) "Salvage value" means the lower of fair market salvage value or five percent of the original cost of the property.
(7) "Special aircraft property" means all aircraft owned or leased by commercial airlines or private carriers.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.