(1) The aggregated assessed value of taxpayer's tangible personal property used in business activity is more than ten percent greater than the aggregated assessed value of the property in the prior tax year; and
(2) The aggregated assessed value of property has increased by more than $100,000 since the prior tax year.
However, this notification requirement does not apply to industrial or natural resources personal property that is appraised by the Tax Commissioner under article six-k of this chapter which is assessed at sixty percent of its true and actual value.
(b) The assessor shall include in the assessment notice:
(1) The assessed value of the property for the preceding assessment year;
(2) The proposed assessed value of the property for the current assessment year;
(3) The classification of the property pursuant to section one, Article X of the Constitution of this state;
(4) The mailing date of the notice; and
(5) The last date on which the taxpayer may file a petition for review with the assessor from the valuation or classification assigned to the property.
(c) The notice required by this section shall be: (1) In writing, in the form prescribed by the Tax Commissioner, and mailed to the taxpayer's last known mailing address; or (2) by electronic notification.
(d) No later than the sixteenth day of the tax year, the assessor shall certify to the county commission and to the Tax Commissioner the date on which all notices under this section were mailed.
(e) After the mailing date of the notice any person who owns, claims, possesses or controls property that is valued by the assessor may inquire of and be advised by the assessor as to the valuation of the property determined by the assessor.
(f) The owner or person in possession of the tangible personal property may petition the assessor for review as provided in section fifteen-d of this article.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.