(1) "Bottled soft drinks" shall include any and all nonalcoholic beverages, whether carbonated or not, such as soda water, ginger ale, coca cola, lime cola, pepsi cola, doctor pepper, root beer, carbonated water, orangeade, lemonade, fruit juice when any plain or carbonated water, flavoring or syrup is added, or any and all preparations commonly referred to as "soft drinks" of whatever kind, which are closed and sealed in glass, paper, or any other type of container, envelope, package or bottle, whether manufactured with or without the use of any syrup. The term "bottled soft drinks" shall not include fluid milk to which no flavoring has been added, or natural undiluted fruit juice or vegetable juice.
(2) "Natural undiluted fruit juice" shall mean the liquid resulting from the pressing of fruit with or without sweetener being added, or the liquid resulting from the reconstitution of natural fruit juice concentrate by the restoration of water to dehydrated natural fruit juice with or without sweetener being added.
(3) "Natural undiluted vegetable juice" shall mean the liquid resulting from the pressing of vegetables with or without sweetener being added or the liquid resulting from the reconstitution of natural vegetable juice concentrate by the restoration of water to dehydrated natural vegetable juice with or without sweetener being added.
(4) "Sweetener" shall mean sugar only, artificial or natural, which singularly flavors the taste of a natural undiluted fruit juice or natural undiluted vegetable juice.
(5) "Soft drink syrups and powders" shall include the compound mixture or the basic ingredients, whether dry or liquid, practically and commercially usable in making, mixing or compounding soft drinks by the mixing thereof with carbonated or plain water, ice, fruit, milk or any other product suitable to make a soft drink, among such syrups being such products as coca cola syrup, chero cola syrup, pepsi cola syrup, doctor pepper syrup, root beer syrup, nu-grape syrup, lemon syrup, vanilla syrup, chocolate syrup, cherry smash syrup, rock candy syrup, simple syrup, chocolate drink powder, malt drink powder, or any other prepared syrups or powders sold or used for the purpose of mixing soft drinks commercially at soda fountains, restaurants or similar places as well as those powder bases prepared for the purpose of domestically mixing soft drinks such as kool aid, oh boy drink, tip top, miracle aid and all other similar products.
(6) "Simple syrup" shall mean the making, mixing, compounding or manufacturing, by dissolving sugar and water or any other mixtures that will create simple syrup to which may or may not be added concentrates or extracts.
(7) "Person" shall mean and include an individual, firm, partnership, association or corporation.
(8) "Wholesale dealer" includes only those persons who sell any bottled soft drink or soft drink syrup to retail dealers for the purpose of resale.
(9) "Retail dealer" includes every person other than a wholesale dealer mixing, making, compounding or manufacturing any drink from a soft drink syrup or powder base, or a person selling such syrup or powder.
(10) "Distributor" shall mean any person who manufactures, bottles, produces or purchases for sale to retail dealers any bottled soft drink or soft drink syrup.
(11) "Commissioner" means the state tax commissioner, and where the meaning of the context requires, all deputies and employees duly authorized by him.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.