For the purpose of this article, except where the context clearly requires differently:
(1) "Brewer" or "manufacturer" means any person, firm, association, partnership or corporation manufacturing, brewing, mixing, concocting, blending, bottling or otherwise producing or importing or transshipping from a foreign country nonintoxicating beer for sale at wholesale to any licensed distributor.
(2) "Brewpub" means a place of manufacture of nonintoxicating beer owned by a resident brewer, subject to federal regulations and guidelines, a portion of which premises are designated for retail sales.
(3) "Class A retail license" means a retail license permitting the retail sale of liquor at a freestanding liquor retail outlet licensed pursuant to chapter sixty of this code.
(4) "Commissioner" means the West Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Commissioner.
(5) "Distributor" means and includes any person jobbing or distributing nonintoxicating beer to retailers at wholesale and whose warehouse and chief place of business shall be within this state.
(6) "Freestanding liquor retail outlet" means a retail outlet that sells only liquor, beer, nonintoxicating beer and other alcohol-related products, as defined pursuant to section four, article three-a, chapter sixty of this code.
(7) "Nonintoxicating beer" means all cereal malt beverages or products of the brewing industry commonly referred to as beer, lager beer, ale and all other mixtures and preparations produced by the brewing industry, including malt coolers and nonintoxicating craft beers containing at least one half of one percent alcohol by volume, but not more than nine and six-tenths of alcohol by weight, or twelve percent by volume, whichever is greater, all of which are hereby declared to be nonintoxicating and the word "liquor" as used in chapter sixty of this code shall not be construed to include or embrace nonintoxicating beer nor any of the beverages, products, mixtures or preparations included within this definition.
(8) "Nonintoxicating beer sampling event" means an event approved by the commissioner for a Class A retail Licensee to hold a nonintoxicating beer sampling authorized pursuant to section eleven-a of this article.
(9) "Nonintoxicating beer sampling day" means any days and hours of the week where Class A retail licensees may sell nonintoxicating beer pursuant to sub-section (a)(1), section eighteen of this article, and is approved, in writing, by the commissioner to conduct a nonintoxicating beer sampling event.
(10) "Nonintoxicating craft beer" means any beverage obtained by the fermentation of barley, malt, hops or any other similar product or substitute and containing not less than one half of one percent by volume and not more than twelve percent alcohol by volume or nine and six-tenths percent alcohol by weight.
(11) "Original container" means the container used by the brewer at the place of manufacturing, bottling or otherwise producing nonintoxicating beer for sale at wholesale.
(12) "Person" means and includes an individual, firm, partnership, limited partnership, association or corporation.
(13) "Resident brewer" means any person, firm, association, partnership, or corporation whose principal place of business is within the state.
(14) "Retailer" means any person selling, serving, or otherwise dispensing nonintoxicating beer and all products regulated by this article, including, but not limited to, any malt cooler, at his or her established and licensed place of business.
(15) "Tax Commissioner" means the Tax Commissioner of the State of West Virginia or the commissioner's designee. Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session