(b) Terms defined. --
(1) "Commercial exploitation" means reasonable intent for public viewing for the delivery medium used.
(2) "Direct production expenditure" means a transaction that occurs in the State of West Virginia or with a West Virginia vendor and includes:
(A) Payment of wages, fees and costs for related fringe benefits provided for talent, management or labor that are subject to West Virginia income tax;
(B) Payment to a personal services corporation for the services of a performing artist if:
(i) The personal services corporation is subject to West Virginia income tax on those payments; and
(ii) The performing artist receiving payments from the personal services corporation is subject to West Virginia income tax; and
(C) Any of the following provided by a vendor:
(i) The story and scenario to be used by a qualified project;
(ii) Set construction and operations, wardrobe, accessories and related services;
(iii) Photography, sound synchronization, lighting and related services;
(iv) Editing and related services;
(v) Rental of facilities and equipment;
(vi) Leasing of vehicles;
(vii) Food or lodging;
(viii) Airfare if purchased through a West Virginia-based travel agency or travel company;
(ix) Insurance coverage and bonding if purchased through a West Virginia-based insurance agent; and
(x) Other direct costs of producing a qualified project in accordance with generally accepted entertainment industry practices.
(3) "Eligible company" means a person or business entity engaged in the business of producing film industry productions.
(4) "Feature length" means in excess of forty minutes.
(5) "Film industry production" means a qualified project intended for reasonable national or international commercial exploitation.
(6) "Film office" means the West Virginia Film Office, which is a division of the West Virginia Department of Commerce.
(7) "Postproduction expenditure" means a transaction that occurs in West Virginia or with a West Virginia vendor after the completion of principal photography, including editing and negative cutting, Foley recording and sound effects, automatic dialogue replacement (also known as ADR or dubbing), special effects or visual effects, including computer-generated imagery or other effects, scoring and music editing, sound editing, beginning and end credits, soundtrack production, subtitling or addition of sound or visual effects; but not including an expenditure for advertising, marketing, distribution or expense payments.
(8) "Qualified project" means a feature length theatrical or direct-to-video motion picture, a made-for-television motion picture, a commercial, a music video, commercial still photography, a television pilot program, a television series and a television mini-series that incurs a minimum of $25,000 in direct production expenditures and post-production expenditures, as defined by this subsection, in West Virginia. The term excludes news or current affairs programming, a weather or market program, an interview or talk show, a sporting event or show, an awards show, a gala, a production that solicits funds, a home shopping program, a program that primarily markets a product or service, political advertising or a concert production.
A qualified project may be produced on any single media or multimedia program that:
(A) Is fixed on film, digital medium, videotape, computer disk, laser disc or other similar delivery medium;
(B) Can be viewed or reproduced;
(C) Is not intended to and does not violate article eight-c, chapter sixty-one of this code;
(D) Does not contain obscene matter or sexually explicit conduct, as defined by article eight-a, chapter sixty-one of this code;
(E) Is intended for reasonable commercial exploitation for the delivery medium used; and
(F) Does not contain content that portrays the State of West Virginia in a significantly derogatory manner.
(9) "Tax Commissioner" means the West Virginia State Tax Commissioner or his or her designee.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.