(b) Placed in service or use.-- For purposes of the credit allowed by this article, property is considered placed in service or use in the earlier of the following taxable years:
(1) The taxable year in which, under the taxpayer's depreciation practice, the period for federal income tax depreciation with respect to the property begins; or
(2) The taxable year in which the property is placed in a condition or state of readiness and availability for a specifically assigned function.
(c) Cost. -- For purposes of this article, the cost for eligible safety property pursuant to a qualified purchase is determined under the following rules:
(1) Trade-ins. -- Cost for eligible safety property will not include the value of property given in trade or exchange for eligible safety property pursuant to a qualified purchase;
(2) Damaged, destroyed or stolen property. -- If eligible safety property is damaged or destroyed by fire, flood, storm or other casualty, or is stolen, then the cost for replacement of the eligible safety property, will not include any insurance proceeds received in compensation for the loss;
(3) Rental property. -- The cost for eligible safety property acquired by lease for a term of at least five years or longer is one hundred percent of the rent reserved for the primary term of the lease, not to exceed ten years; and
(4) Property purchased for multiple use. -- Any cost of
acquisition of property that is not principally and directly used
to minimize workplace injuries and fatalities in a coal mine does
not qualify as qualified investment for purposes of this article.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.