(1) To provide the state's share of the federal medicaid program funds in order to improve inpatient payments to disproportionate share hospitals; and
(2) To cover administrative cost incurred by the department of health and human resources and associated with the medicaid program and this fund: Provided, That no expenditures may be made to cover said administrative costs for any fiscal year after one thousand nine hundred ninety-two, except as appropriated by the Legislature.
(b) Moneys from the following sources may be placed into the fund:
(1) All public funds transferred by any public agency to the department of health and human resources medicaid program for deposit in the fund as contemplated or permitted by applicable federal medicaid laws;
(2) All private funds contributed, donated or bequeathed by corporations, individuals or other entities to the fund as contemplated and permitted by applicable federal medicaid laws;
(3) Interest which accrued on amounts in the fund from sources identified in subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection; and
(4) Federal financial participation matching the amounts referred to in subdivisions (1), (2) and (3) of this subsection, in accordance with Section 1902 (a) (2) of the Social Security Act.
(c) Any balance remaining in the medicaid uncompensated care fund at the end of any state fiscal year shall not revert to the state treasury but shall remain in this fund and shall be used only in a manner consistent with this article.
(d) Moneys received into the fund shall not be counted or credited as part of the legislative general appropriation to the state medicaid program.
(e) The fund shall be administered by the department of health and human resources. Moneys shall be disbursed from the fund on a quarterly basis. The secretary of the department shall implement the provisions of this article prior to the receipt of any transfer, contribution, donation or bequest from any public or private source.
(f) All moneys expended from the fund after receipt of federal financial participation shall be allocated to reimbursement of inpatient charges and fees of eligible disproportionate share hospitals. Except for the payment of administrative costs as provided for in this section, appropriation from this fund for any other purposes is void.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session