The state of West Virginia may be an ex officio member of any such interstate regional planning commission formed under the provisions of this article. The governor or a representative designated by him shall represent the state in the deliberations of any interstate regional planning commission or its agencies or instrumentalities but this state shall not be a voting member of any interstate regional planning commission or any agency or instrumentality thereof.
Any such commission shall make a quarterly report to the governing body of each municipality and to the county court of each county contributing to the financial support of such commission, containing an itemized account of its receipts and disbursements during the preceding quarter. Such report shall be made within thirty days after the end of each quarter. At the end of each fiscal year, any such commission shall arrange for an independent audit of its financial affairs and within thirty days after the end of such fiscal year, such commission shall furnish a copy of the report of such audit to any such governing body or county court and shall cause a copy thereof to be published as a Class I legal advertisement in compliance with the provisions of article three, chapter fifty-nine of this code, and the publication area for such publication shall be each municipality and county which contributed to the financial support of such commission.
(1) Goals, objectives, standards and principles for the development of the region;
(2) The distribution and intensity of general land use and open space;
(3) The general circulation pattern for the region, including land, water and air transportation and communication facilities, and continuing comprehensive transportation planning;
(4) The general location, character and extent of public and private works and facilities which are of area-wide or regional, as distinguished from purely local, concern; and
(5) Long-range programming and financing of capital projects and facilities.
(b) The commission shall:
(1) Review plans and proposals for projects and programs of interstate or regional significance which may be proposed by others;
(2) Review and make recommendations concerning administrative and regulatory measures to implement area-wide or regional plans;
(3) Review and make recommendations concerning effective utilization of such federal and state assistance as may be available on a regional basis or as may have a regional impact;
(4) Collect, analyze and report on statistics and other information concerning traffic, housing, population and social, economic and physical conditions of the region;
(5) Make recommendations to governmental bodies within such region for such actions as are necessary and proper to further the coordinated development of the region; and
(6) Conduct necessary investigations and research and cooperate with other public and private agencies or persons to conduct such investigations and research on planning problems affecting the region.
(b) An interstate regional planning commission may accept and use funds, grants and services from the federal government or its agencies, from departments, agencies and instrumentalities of any adjoining state, and from any municipality, county or other political subdivision of this or any adjoining state, including municipal, county, regional or other planning commissions of this or any adjoining state, or from private sources, or services from departments, agencies or instrumentalities of this state, and may contract with respect thereto and provide such information and reports as may be necessary to secure such financial or other aid. Within the amounts thus agreed upon and appropriated or otherwise received, any commission may employ such engineers, planners, consultants and other employees as are necessary and may rent or own such space and make such purchases as it deems necessary to its use.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.