(1) The increased salaries to be paid to the county commissioners and the other elected county officials described in this section on and after July 1, 2014, are set out in subsections (5) and (7) of this section. Every county commissioner and elected county official in each county, whose term of office commenced prior to or on or after July 1, 2014, shall receive the same annual salary by virtue of legislative findings of extra duties as set forth in section one of this article.
(2) Before the increased salaries, as set out in subsections (5) and (7) of this section, are paid to the county commissioners and the elected county officials, the following requirements must be met:
(A) The Auditor has certified that the fiscal condition of the county, considering costs, revenues, liabilities and significant trends of the same; maintenance standards; and the commitment to the provision of county services has sufficiently improved over the previous fiscal years so that there exists an amount sufficient for the payment of the increase in the salaries set out in subsections (5) and (7) of this section and the related employment taxes: Provided, That the Auditor may not provide the certification for the payment of the increase in the salaries where any proposed annual county budget contains anticipated receipts which are unreasonably greater or lesser than that of the previous year. For purposes of this subsection, the term "receipts" does not include unencumbered fund balance or federal or state grants: Provided, however, That the Auditor shall not be held liable for relying upon information and data provided by a county commission in assessing the county's fiscal condition or a proposed annual county budget; and
(B) Each county commissioner or other elected official described in this section in office on the effective date of the increased salaries provided by this section who desires to receive the increased salary shall have prior to that date filed in the office of the clerk of the county commission his or her written request for the salary increase. The salary for the person who holds the office of county commissioner or other elected official described in this section who fails to file the written request as required by this paragraph shall be the salary for that office in effect immediately prior to the effective date of the increased salaries provided by this section until the person vacates the office or his or her term of office expires, whichever first occurs.
Any request for a salary increase shall use the following language:
I, [name of office holder], the duly elected [name of office] in and for the County of [name of county], West Virginia, do hereby request a salary increase pursuant to W. Va. Code §7-7-4, as amended. This salary increase is effective July 1, 2014.
[Signature of office holder]
(3) If the Auditor has failed to certify that there is an amount sufficient for the payment of the increase in the salaries and the related employment taxes pursuant to this section, then the salaries of that county's elected officials and commissioners shall remain at the level in effect at the time certification was sought.
(4) In any county having a tribunal in lieu of a county commission, the county commissioners of that county may be paid less than the minimum salary limits of the county commission for that particular class of the county.
(5) Prior to July 1, 2014:
After June 30, 2014:
Class I $41,395
Class II $40,656
Class III $39,917
Class IV $39,178
Class V $38,438
Class VI $31,786
Class VII $31,046
Class VIII $28,090
Class IX $27,350
Class X $22,176
(6) For the purpose of determining the salaries to be paid to the elected county officials of each county, the salaries for each county office by class, set out in subdivision (7) of this subsection, are established and shall be used by each county commission in determining the salaries of each of their county officials other than salaries of members of the county commission.
(7) Prior to July 1, 2014:
OTHER ELECTED OFFICIALS
Class I$44,880 $55,440 $55,440 $44,880$ 96,600
Class II$44,220$54,780 $54,780 $44,220 $ 94,400
Class III$43,890$53,460$53,460 $43,890 $ 92,200
Class IV$43,560$53,154 $53,154 $43,560 $ 90,000
Class V$43,230$52,800 $52,800 $43,230 $ 87,800
Class VI$42,900$49,500 $49,500 $42,900 $ 59,400
Class VII$42,570$48,840 $48,840 $42,570 $ 56,760
Class VIII$42,240$48,180 $48,180 $42,240 $ 54,120
Class IX$41,910$47,520 $47,520 $41,910 $ 50,160
Class X$38,280$42,240 $42,240 $38,280 $ 46,200
After June 30, 2014:
OTHER ELECTED OFFICIALS
SheriffClerk Clerk AssessorAttorney
Class I $50,266 $62,093 $62,093 $50,266 $108,192
Class II $49,526 $61,354 $61,354 $49,526 $105,728
Class III $49,157 $59,875 $59,875 $49,157 $103,264
Class IV $48,787 $59,532 $59,532 $48,787 $100,800
Class V $48,418 $59,136 $59,136 $48,418 $98,336
Class VI $48,048 $55,440 $55,440 $48,048 $66,528
Class VII $47,678 $54,701 $54,701 $47,678 $63,571
Class VIII $47,309 $53,962 $53,962 $47,309 $60,614
Class IX $46,939 $53,222 $53,222 $46,939 $56,179
Class X $42,874 $47,309 $47,309 $42,874 $51,744
(8) Any county clerk, circuit clerk, county assessor,
prosecuting attorney or sheriff of a Class I through Class V
county, inclusive, any assessor or any sheriff of a Class VI
through Class IX county, inclusive, shall devote full time to his
or her public duties to the exclusion of any other employment:
Provided, That any public official whose term of office begins when
his or her county's classification imposes no restriction on his or
her outside activities may not be restricted on his or her outside
activities during the remainder of the term for which he or she is
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.