(b) The Commission may initiate or receive complaints and make investigations, as provided in section four of this article, and upon complaint by an individual of an alleged violation of this article by a public official or public employee, refer the complaint to the Review Board as provided in section two-a of this article. Any person charged with a violation of this chapter is entitled to the administrative hearing process contained in section four of this article.
(c) The Commission may subpoena witnesses, compel their attendance and testimony, administer oaths and affirmations, take evidence and require by subpoena the production of books, papers, records or other evidence needed for the performance of the Commission's duties or exercise of its powers, including its duties and powers of investigation.
(d) The Commission shall, in addition to its other duties:
(1) Prescribe forms for reports, statements, notices and other documents required by law;
(2) Prepare and publish manuals and guides explaining the duties of individuals covered by this law; and giving instructions and public information materials to facilitate compliance with, and enforcement of, this act; and
(3) Provide assistance to agencies, officials and employees in administering the provisions of this act.
(e) The Commission may:
(1) Prepare reports and studies to advance the purpose of the law;
(2) Contract for any services which cannot satisfactorily be performed by its employees;
(3) Require the Attorney General to provide legal advice without charge to the Commission;
(4) Employ additional legal counsel;
(5) Request appropriate agencies of state to provide any professional assistance the Commission may require in the discharge of its duties: Provided, That the Commission shall reimburse any agency other than the Attorney General the cost of providing assistance; and
(6) Share otherwise confidential documents, materials or information with appropriate agencies of state government, provided that the recipient agrees to maintain the confidentiality and privileged status of the document, material or information.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.