(1) "Authority" means the West Virginia public energy authority created in section four of this article, the duties, powers, responsibilities and functions of which are specified in this article.
(2) "Board" means the West Virginia public energy authority board created in section four of this article, which shall manage and control the West Virginia public energy authority.
(3) "Bond" means a revenue bond, or note or other evidence of indebtedness, including, but not limited to, a taxable bond and commercial paper, issued by the West Virginia economic development authority or by the authority to effect the intents and purposes of this article.
(4) "Construction" includes construction, acquisition, reconstruction, enlargement, improvement and providing furnishings or equipment.
(5) "Cost" as applied to natural gas transmission projects, electric power projects or other energy projects authorized by the authority includes, but is not limited to: The cost of their acquisition and construction, including all costs pertaining to pipelines; the cost of acquisition of all land, rights-of-way, property rights, easements, franchise rights, contract rights, lease rights and other rights or interests required by the authority for such acquisition and construction; the cost of demolishing or removing any pipeline, buildings or structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring any lands to which such pipelines, buildings or structures may be moved; the cost of acquiring or constructing and equipping a principal office and suboffices of the authority; the cost of diverting highways, interchange of highways and access roads to private property, including the cost of land or easements therefor; the cost of all machinery, furnishings and equipment, all financing charges, and interest prior to and during construction and after completion of construction; the cost of all engineering services and all expenses of research and development with respect to natural gas transmission projects, electric power projects, and related facilities; the cost of all legal services and expenses; the cost of all plans, specifications, surveys and estimates of cost and revenues; all working capital and other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of acquiring or constructing any such projects; all administrative expenses and such other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the acquisition or construction of any such projects; the financing of such acquisition or construction, and the cost of financing of the placing of any such project in operation. Any obligation or expenses incurred after the effective date of this article by any person, with the approval of the authority, for surveys, borings, preparation of plans and specifications and other engineering services in connection with the acquisition or construction of a project shall be regarded as a part of the cost of such project and shall be reimbursed out of the proceeds of loans or bonds as authorized by the provisions of this article.
(6) "End-user" means any person who consumes or uses natural gas in connection with any industrial, commercial, residential or other use, except that such term shall not include any person purchasing such natural gas for resale to another person. For purposes of this article, the term end-user shall include local distribution companies and intrastate pipelines as defined in article three, chapter twenty-four of this code.
(7) "Electric power project" means the complex of structures, machinery and associated equipment for the generation or transmission of electricity including the production and distribution of other energy produced from coal, natural gas and by-products of coal occurring as a result of the production of coal, and all facilities related or incidental thereto.
(8) "Governmental agency" means the state government or any agency, department, division or unit thereof; counties; municipalities; public service districts; regional governmental authorities and any other governmental agency, entity, political subdivision, public corporation or agency; the United States government or any agency, department, division or unit thereof; and any agency, commission or authority established pursuant to an interstate compact or agreement.
(9) "Local distribution company" means any person, other than any interstate pipeline or any intrastate pipeline, engaged in transportation or local distribution of natural gas and the sale of natural gas for ultimate consumption.
(10) "Natural gas transmission project" means any natural gas pipeline and all facilities necessary or incident to the transportation of natural gas to or for the benefit of industrial or other end-users in West Virginia, the acquisition or construction of which is financed, in whole or in part, by the West Virginia public energy authority or the acquisition or construction of which is financed, in whole or in part, from funds made available by grant, loan or any other source by, or through, the authority as provided in this article, including facilities, the acquisition or construction of which is authorized, in whole or in part, by the West Virginia public energy authority or the acquisition or construction of which is financed, in whole or in part, from funds made available by grant, loan or any other source by, or through, the authority as provided in this article, including all pipelines, buildings and facilities which the authority deems necessary for the operation of the project, together with all property, rights, easements and interests which may be required for the operation of the project.
(11) "Owner" includes all persons having any title or interest in any property rights, easements and interests authorized to be acquired by this article.
(12) "Person" means any public or private corporation, institution, association, firm or company organized or existing under the laws of this or any other state or country; the United States or the state of West Virginia; any federal or state governmental agency; political subdivision; county commission; municipality; industry; public service district; partnership; trust; estate; person or individual; and group of persons or individuals acting individually or as a group or any other legal entity whatever.
(13) "Pipeline" or "pipelines" means any actual lines of pipe for the transmission and distribution of natural gas together with all appurtenances, facilities, structures, equipment, machinery and other items related to the transmission and distribution of gas through lines of pipe.
(14) "Revenue" means any money or thing of value collected by, or paid to, the West Virginia public energy authority as rents, loan payments, installment payments, or other proceeds of sale, rates, user fees, service charges or other charges for the electric power produced by, for the use of, for the lease, the lease with an option to purchase or the purchase of, or in connection with any electric power project; or as rent, use, transportation or service fee or charge for use of, or in connection with, any natural gas transmission project; or other money or property from any source which is received and may be expended for or pledged as revenues pursuant to this article.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.