(1) The chairs of the Senate and House of Delegates finance committees;
(2) The chairs of the Senate and House of Delegates judiciary committees;
(3) The chairs of the Senate and House of Delegates education committees;
(4) Not more than nine additional members of the Senate appointed by the president of the Senate, with at least one member representing health; and
(5) Not more than nine additional members of the House of Delegates appointed by the speaker of the House of Delegates, with at least one member representing health.
(b) Any vacancies occurring in the membership of the commission shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment for the position being vacated. The vacancy shall not affect the power of the remaining members to perform the duties of the commission.
(c) The commission may explore how West Virginia can:
(1) Invest in systems that build workforce skills and promote lifelong learning to ensure a competitive workforce;
(2) Enhance the infrastructure, communications and transportation needed to support the knowledge-based industries and electronic commerce;
(3) Reorganize government to deliver services more efficiently, using technology, privatization and partnerships with the private sector;
(4) Align state tax systems to meet the demands of the twenty-first century economy;
(5) Develop more uniform regulatory and tax systems to reduce complexity, eliminate market distortions and better protect consumers;
(6) Support entrepreneurs by streamlining business regulations, providing timely decisions and assisting firms in their search for venture capital;
(7) Promote university policies that encourage research and development and build intellectual infrastructure;
(8) Address quality-of-life concerns to attract new businesses and workers; and
(9) Accomplish the goals set forth in this article and any other goal related to economic development or workforce investment that the commission considers important.
(d) The commission may propose legislation necessary to accomplish its goals.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session