(1) "WVDO" means the West Virginia development office;
(2) "Employer" means an individual, partnership, corporation, or other legal entity that employs or plans to employ skilled workers;
(3) "Retraining and job upgrade" means the specialized training that is given to an identified level of employees to enable them to advance to a higher level of employment;
(4) "Program" means the West Virginia Guaranteed Work Force Program established pursuant to section three of this article;
(5) "Training" means custom-designed training given to employees or prospective employees of new or expanding businesses and industries within the state;
(6) "Training provider" means any persons, public or private educational institutions, agencies, companies or other entities that may be utilized for training or consultative services for an employer.
Provision of training services will depend upon the employer meeting program requirements as set forth by the West Virginia development office and this article. The state of West Virginia guarantees if employer satisfaction is not achieved, the West Virginia development office will carefully review the effectiveness of the recently completed training plan and program with the employer and the training provider. After such review, if the West Virginia development office determines that the training program was inadequate to meet the employer's specifications and satisfaction as originally agreed to, then those employees so trained shall be eligible for retraining under the guarantee provision except when the training program curriculum or provider were selected solely at the discretion of the employer, then no such additional training shall be considered or approved: Provided, That in no instance may the cost of training and retraining an employee exceed four thousand dollars.
The fund shall consist of all moneys provided by the Legislature and also any contributions, grants or bequests received from federal, private or other sources. Appropriations made from the funds shall be for the purpose of providing contractual services through the West Virginia development office for vocational related training or retraining provided by public or private training institutions within West Virginia and for contracted services through the West Virginia development office for vocational related training, retraining or upgrading provided by public or private training institutions located outside of West Virginia and for vocational related training or retraining provided on site, within West Virginia by any training provider as defined in this article.
Program activities may include, but not be limited to, the following:
(a) The performance of a job skills analysis and the designing of a training curriculum for an employer.
(b) The recruitment and referral of trainee applicants to an employer.
(c) The provision of off site pre-employment training to prospective employees of a new or expanding business or industry or to existing employees for purposes of retraining or upgrading: Provided, That on site pre-employment training may be provided if off site pre-employment training is not practical.
(d) Retraining of employees in response to a technological change.
(e) The provision of job upgrade training, if the training will retain or increase the employer's total work force.
(f) Contracting with persons, public or private educational institutions, agencies or other bodies for training or consultative services for an employer.
(g) The provision of materials and supplies used in the training process, instructors with specialized skills, instructional training aids and equipment, consultative services relative to highly specific or technical data and other services.
(h) Assisting a foreign employer locating or expanding in this state by familiarizing the employer's foreign personnel with the work attitudes, work methods, expectations, customs and life style of employees who work within this state.
(i) Taking any other action that is considered to be necessary or desirable for the furtherance of the provisions of this article.
Funds may not be awarded or reimbursed to any business or industry for the training, retraining or upgrading of skills of potential employees with the purpose of replacing or supplanting employees engaged in an authorized work stoppage.
(1) The number of persons trained and their demographics;
(2) The number of persons placed in employment;
(3) The number of employers for which persons have been trained and placed;
(4) The number of persons trained and placed for each employer;
(5) The types of work for which persons have been trained;
(6) The source of training fund; and
(7) The overall effectiveness of this article in contributing to economic stabilization and business and industrial growth within this state.
(b) In addition, the West Virginia development office shall report on a quarterly basis to the West Virginia workforce investment council and the legislative oversight commission on workforce investment for economic development the following as they relate to the training program established by this article:
(1) The names of all companies approved for training during the reporting quarter;
(2) The names of all companies receiving funding for training during the reporting quarter;
(3) The amount and source of funds utilized for each training program;
(4) The type of training being delivered;
(5) The number of employees trained; and
(6) Those agencies providing the training.
Acts, 1997 Reg. Sess., Ch. 59.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.