Short title. -- This article may be known and cited as the Permitting and Licensing Information Act.
(1) Persons conducting business activities in this state are required to obtain permits and licenses from various agencies that regulate those activities;
(2) The efficiency of the permitting and licensing process is an integral component of effective government, business development and public participation; and
(3) It is in the public interest that the permitting and licensing process for business activities should be efficient and streamlined.
(b) Therefore, the Legislature declares that the permitting and licensing process for business activities be facilitated and coordinated by the Governor's Office of Technology.
(1) "Agency" means any board, department, division, authority, commission or other public entity that requires a permit or license to be obtained from the entity to conduct a business activity in this state.
(2) "Office" means the Governor's Office of Technology.
(3) "Permit" means any permit, license, authorization, certification, registration or other approval required to perform a business activity.
(b) The office has the following authority to:
(1) Establish a central permit and license information repository;
(2) Determine the type of information that each agency must submit in order to provide adequate information to the public regarding the permits and licenses needed for a particular business activity;
(3) Require state agencies and local agencies to provide their permit and license information, including the type and purpose of all permits and licenses the agency issues;
(4) Create an online permitting and licensing program monitored through the state web page; and
(5) Make recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature concerning the functionality of the central permit and license information repository to ensure its accessibility and reliability for use by agencies and the public.
(b) On or before the first day of December, two thousand eight, the office shall establish, and provide to agencies that issue permits and licenses, the procedures and methods for submission of required permitting and licensing information for the permitting and licensing information repository.
(c) On or before the first day of February, two thousand nine, an agency that issues permits and licenses shall submit the required permitting and licensing information to the office in accordance with the procedures and methods established in this article.
(d) On or before the first day of July, two thousand nine, the office will create an internet-based, publicly accessible permitting and licensing information repository, in coordination with the state's e-government initiatives, that contains the following:
(1) A comprehensive detailed listing of the types of permits and licenses required for specific business activities;
(2) The purposes of the permits and licenses; and
(3) The agencies responsible for issuance of the permits and licenses, including the agency contact information.
(e) The permitting and licensing information repository shall allow individuals to obtain a listing of the types of permits and licenses required for specific business activities.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.