(1) To sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded.
(2) To have a seal.
(3) To contract to acquire and to acquire, in the name of the commission or of the state, by purchase, eminent domain, or otherwise, a suitable site in the city of Charleston, state of West Virginia, for a state legislative building, related facilities and grounds, including real property, rights and easements necessary for this purpose, or to use any suitable site which may be owned by the state and available and designated for this purpose and to construct a state legislative building on such site and equip and furnish said building.
(4) To contract to acquire and to acquire and hold, in the name of the commission or of the state, services, materials, furnishings, and equipment required in connection with the location, design, construction, furnishing and equipping of the state legislative building.
(5) To make bylaws for the management and regulation of its affairs.
(6) With the consent of the attorney general of the state, to use the facilities of his office, assistants and employees in all legal matters relating to or pertaining to the commission; or use legal services made available by the Legislature and its staff; or if necessary employ attorneys-at-law.
(7) To employ architects to prepare plans for the state legislative building, to assist and advise the architects in the preparation of those plans and to approve on behalf of the state all plans for the state legislative building.
(8) To make all contracts and execute all instruments necessary or convenient to effectuate the intent of, and to exercise the powers granted to it by the provisions of this article.
(9) To accept and expend any gift, grant or contribution of money or any other thing to, or for the benefit of the commission, from the state or any other source for the purposes specified in this article.
(10) To supervise generally the location, construction, furnishing and equipping of the state legislative building.
(11) To report to the Legislature at each regular session thereof and at the same time report to the governor concerning the action taken by the commission during the previous year in carrying out the provisions of this article and make such special reports as may be required by the Legislature and governor.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.