(2) Notwithstanding any provisions of subdivision (1) of this subsection to the contrary, the federal postcard application for voter registration issued pursuant to 42 U.S.C. §1973, et seq., the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act of 1986, and the mail voter registration application form prescribed by the Federal Election Commission pursuant to 42 U.S.C. §1973gg, et seq., the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, shall be accepted as a valid form of application for registration pursuant to the provisions of this article.
(b) Each application form for registration shall include:
(1) A statement specifying the eligibility requirements for registration and an attestation that the applicant meets each eligibility requirement;
(2) Any specific notice or notices required for a specific type or use of application by 42 U.S.C. §1973gg, et seq., the National Voter Registration Act of 1993;
(3) A notice that a voter may be permitted to vote the partisan primary election ballot of a political party only if the voter has designated that political party on the application for registration unless the political party has determined otherwise;
(4) The applicant's driver's license number or an identification number issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles. If the applicant does not have a driver's license or an identification card issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles, then the last four digits of the applicant's social security number; and
(5) Any other instructions or information essential to complete the application process.
(c) Each application form shall require that the following be provided by the applicant, under oath, and any application which does not contain each of the following shall be considered incomplete:
(1) The applicant's legal name, including the first name, middle or maiden name, if any, and last name;
(2) The month, day and year of the applicant's birth;
(3) The applicant's residence address, including the number and street or route and city and county of residence except:
(A) In the case of a person eligible to register under the provisions of 42 U.S.C. §1973ff, et seq., the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, the address at which he or she last resided before leaving the United States or entering the uniformed services, or if a dependent child of such a person, the address at which his or her parent last resided; and
(B) In the case of a homeless person having no fixed residence address who nevertheless resides and remains regularly within the county, the address of a shelter, assistance center or family member with whom he or she has regular contact or other specific location approved by the clerk of the county commission for the purposes of establishing a voting residence; and
(4) The applicant's signature, under penalty of perjury as provided in section thirty-six of this article, to the attestation of eligibility to register to vote and to the truth of the information given.
(d) The applicant shall be requested to provide the following information, but no application shall be rejected for lack of this information:
(1) An indication whether the application is for a new registration, change of address, change of name or change of party affiliation;
(2) The applicant's choice of political party affiliation, if any, or an indication of no affiliation: Provided, That any applicant who does not enter any choice of political party affiliation shall be listed as having no party affiliation on the voting record;
(3) The applicant's residence mailing address if different than the residence street address;
(4) The last four digits of the applicant's social security number;
(5) The applicant's telephone number;
(6) The address at which the applicant was last registered to vote, if any, for the purpose of canceling or transferring the previous registration; and
(7) The applicant's gender.
(e) The Secretary of State shall prescribe the printing specifications of each type of voter registration application and the voter registration application portion of any form which is part of a combined agency form.
(f) Application forms prescribed in this section may refer to various public officials by title or official position, but in no case may the actual name of any officeholder be printed on the voter registration application or on any portion of a combined application form.
(g) No later than the first day of July of each odd-numbered year, the Secretary of State shall submit the specifications of the voter registration application by mail for statewide bidding for a contract period beginning the first day of September of each odd-numbered year and continuing for two calendar years. The successful bidder shall produce and supply the required mail voter registration forms at the contract price to all purchasers of the form for the period of the contract.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session