(1) Microchip and digital technologies are increasingly changing the way Americans vote;
(2) State and political subdivisions are replacing antiquated voting methods and machines with computer- and electronic-based voting systems, but nonvisual access, whether by speech, Braille or other appropriate means is often overlooked in certifying and purchasing the latest voting technology;
(3) Voting technology and systems which allow the voter to access and select information solely through visual means are a barrier to access by individuals who are blind or visually impaired, thereby discouraging them from exercising the right to vote, the most fundamental right of citizenship in a free and democratic society;
(4) Software and hardware adaptations have been created so that voters can interact with voting technology and systems through both visual and nonvisual means allowing blind and visually impaired people to cast a secret ballot and independently verify their vote; and
(5) In promoting full participation in the electoral process, the goals of the state and its political subdivisions must recognize the right of all citizens regardless of blindness or visual impairment to vote and to cast and verify their ballots independently.
(1) "Access" means the ability to receive, use, select and manipulate data and operate controls included in voting technology and systems;
(2) "Nonvisual" means synthesized speech, Braille and other output methods not requiring sight.
(b) The county commission of any county may place voting mechanisms that provide nonvisual access to blind or visually impaired persons in as many other precincts of the county as the county commission determines is feasible for use on election day, if the type of voting mechanism to be used has been certified by the secretary of state.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.