|Date Requested:February 08, 2011
Time Requested:04:03 PM
| FUND(S) |
Sources of Revenue
Legislation creates:Neither Program nor Fund
Effect this measure will have on costs and revenues of state government.
|Effect of Proposal||Fiscal Year|
|1. Estmated Total Cost||0||0||0|
|Repairs and Alterations||0||0||0|
|2. Estimated Total Revenues||0||0||0|
3. Explanation of above estimates (including long-range effect):
The purpose of this bill is to create the Local Solutions Dropout and Prevention Pilot program to reduce the number of high school dropouts in West Virginia.
The bill provides for the establishment of a separate category of innovation zones designated as “Local Solution Dropout Prevention and Recovery Innovation Zones” intended to achieve the following purposes:
(1) Provide resources to develop a stateside early warning system of students at risk of dropping out
(2) Prove for the establishment of Local Solution Dropout Prevention and Recovery Innovation Zones to increase graduation rates and reduce the number of dropouts
(3) Prove schools and communities with opportunities for greater collaboration
(4) Prove a testing ground for innovative graduation programs, incentives and approaches
(5) Prove information regarding the effective of specific innovations
(6) Document educational strategies that increase graduation rates, dropout prevention and student successes.
The bill also requires the development and maintenance of a statewide early warning system of students at risk of dropping out of school, with the indicators specified in the bill being indicators that are already maintained in the West Virginia Education Information System (WVEIS).
The bill also proposes the creation of a special revenue fund to be known as the “Local Solutions Dropout Prevention and Recovery Fund”. The bill does not specify any specific amount of state funds be appropriated to the fund.
Since the indicators specified that are to be maintained in the statewide electronic early warning dropout system are indicators that are already maintained in WVEIS, there will not be any additional cost to the State for the development and maintenance of this system. The only cost to the State would be the amount of State funds that are appropriated for the Local Solutions Dropout Prevention and Recovery Fund”.