|Date Requested:March 15, 2005
Time Requested:11:35 AM
| FUND(S) |
Sources of Revenue
Legislation creates:Neither Program nor Fund
Effect this measure will have on costs and revenues of state government.
| The purpose is to increase the salaries of magistrate clerks, magistrate assistants, magistrate deputy clerks, family court jduges, circuit court judges and justices of the Supreme Court of Appeals. Though stated in the title to the Bill that magistrates would receive an increase, no provision has been provided for such increases.
The following indicates existing salaries and the new salaries proposed under the Bill:
Position Current Annual Salary HB 3038 Increase
(5) Justices $95,000 $125,000 $30,000
(65) Circuit Judges $90,000 $110,000 $20,000
(35) Family Court Judges $62,500 $85,000 $22,500
(34 Magistrate Clerks II $30,444 $33,120 $2,676
(21) Magistrate Clerks I $25,536 $27,564 $2,028
(116) Magistrate Assistants II $25,344 $27,348 $2,004
(42) Magistrate Assistants I $22,248 $23,784 $1,536
(62) Deputy Mag. Clerks $25,344 $27,348 $2,004
The total annual cost of these increases is $3,211,083.
The high caseload counties are Braxton, Hardy and Morgan. Elevation of magistrate court clerks, magistrate assistants, and deputy magistrate court clerks from Level I to Level II would cost $39,801.00 per year.
The grand total of all increases is $3,250,884.
|Effect of Proposal||Fiscal Year|
|1. Estmated Total Cost||0||3,250,884||3,250,884|
|Repairs and Alterations||0||0||0|
|2. Estimated Total Revenues||0||0||0|
3. Explanation of above estimates (including long-range effect):
| Bill does not increase magistrate salaries as indicated in the title.
Bill does not accurately reflect current salaries of magistrate clerks, and magistrate assistants which have increased over the levels indicated in WV Code due to across-the-board increases granted by the Legislature.