HB4433 H VAHS AM 2-8
The Committee on Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security moves to amend the bill on page 1, section 34, line 17, by striking all of section 34 and inserting in lieu thereof the following:
“§18-2-34. High school diplomas for surviving World War I, World War II, Korean Conflict War, and Vietnam Conflict and veterans of certain other conflicts or wars.
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of this code to the contrary, the state board shall provide for the awarding of high school diplomas, either by the county board in the county in which the veteran resides or the county in which the veteran would have received his or her diploma, whichever location the veteran chooses, to any surviving World War I, World War II, Korean Conflict War, or Vietnam Conflict veteran or any surviving veteran of any other conflict or war for which the state of West Virginia has authorized a bonus who:
(1) Left school prior to graduation and served in the Armed Forces of the United States; Provided, That a veteran of the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam Conflict must have been attending high school at the time he or she left prior to graduating and served in the Armed Forces of the United States;
(2) Did not receive a high school diploma;
(3) Was discharged from the armed services under honorable conditions; and
(4) Completes the application process as provided by the joint rules of the state board and the veterans’ council.
(b) The state board and the veterans’ council, created in article one, chapter nine-a of this code, shall jointly propose rules for the identification of eligible veterans and for the awarding of high school diplomas. The rules shall provide for an application process and the credentials required to receive the high school diplomas.
(c) For purposes of this section:
(1) "World War I veteran" means any veteran who:
(A) Performed wartime service between April 6, 1917, and November 11, 1918; or
(B) Has been awarded the World War I Victory Medal;
(2)(1) "World War II veteran" means any veteran who performed wartime service between September 16, 1940, and December 31, 1946;
(3)(2) "Korean Conflict War veteran" means any veteran who performed military service between June 27, 1950, and January 31, 1955; and
(4)(3) "Vietnam Conflict veteran" means any veteran who performed military service between February 28, 1961, and May 7, 1975.”